Friday, August 15, 2014

It's Just a Crate!

Vintage, rustic themes seem to be trending around here.  I find out it is difficult to look for a simple, wooden crate.  We went to wine shops - they wouldn't let us have any, not even if we paid for them.

So I said those dangerous words I tell myself every time not to even think.  "I'll just have to make it myself then".  Oops.

What making a 'simple, wooden crate' involved:

(A)
1.  Driving to the wood warehouse and picking out the size of planks I wanted (petrol cost, time cost).
2.  Dodging lorries and forklifts that are driven in a crazy, hurried manner all over the place.
3.  Getting cut by wires sticking out from here and there on the ground.
4.  Waaaaaaaaiting for the worker to find the pieces in the mountain of planks, plus rejecting the ones he slides down from way up there, if they were split or too pale a colour.

(I had no idea wood planks would cost so much! aaarrrrghhh!)

5.  Sliding them through the boot of my car, to the front, since I don't have a pick-up.
6.  Unloading the 10 foot or 12 foot planks piece by piece and carrying them to the back of my house where I work.


OR

(B)

1.  Knocking off (brute strength here) the slats from my leftover wooden bed slat collection (which has now dwindled to nothing)
     -knocking them off too hard will cause them to split, hence one slat wasted.


2.  Prying out the staples or nails (brute strength here) one by one.


Like a dentist.......                                                                                                                             



THEN with wood planks purchased as in (A) above or recycled as in (B):

1.  Sawing 15 pieces of planks for just one crate (you could of course buy large, thick pieces of plywood and saw just 4 pieces per crate for the sides and one for the bottom - but that wouldn't look as nice).

2.  Sawing 6 pieces of narrow wood-joining pieces (simply because I don't know how else to strengthen the joints.  These 'joints' cost, too).


3.  Nailing all the above together (amateurs like me still bend nails, split wood, measure incorrectly).


(Nails cost)

...and nail some more...

4.  Sanding the whole thing because I'm a forevermother and will always think of little curious hands wanting to touch this and that and end up getting splinters in their chubby little fingers.

These I made are 16inches wide, 12 inches high and 8 inches deep.  They are so versatile!

You can prop them vertically..


..or horizontally.


Love!


Here they are with my collection of all things blue and white (latest craze).




And here are some more pictures to inspire you on how they can be used.


                                                                     www.decoteco.com

                                                              www.blueroofcabin.com


                                                                    weddingwire.com

I think I want to move to a cottage on a hill surrounded by forests.....sighhhhh.


p/s  My DIY-ing started out as a necessity for having jobs done around our house, then moved onto making pretty things for myself, and now there are some awesome people who are making orders from me.  I'm still amazed that people want my things, heeheheheeee!

4 comments:

  1. Very nicely done. Likes the idea of making them as a coffee table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love your crates ~ especially when showcased with the 'blue & white collection'.

    The coffee table looks divine.

    Yes, crate is great! ... and btw, you're awesome! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pattie Boo, too kind. So many amazingly creative people out there, such inspirations!

      Delete